Thursday, February 11, 2016

Bavarian Pork Loin

I've long been a fan of my local Italian deli/grocery store and they have this Bavarian pork loin at the deli counter which is just all kinds of addictive.  It wasn't until a few weeks ago (when I scored a pair of whole pork tenderloins) that it dawned on me: I could try making this myself.  Why do brilliant ideas like this take so long to reach my brain, I'll never know.  But I am making one of these beauties today and am beyond excited!

What makes it even better is that having a full and varied spice cabinet, a few pantry basics, and less than 5 minutes - and I had the spice paste to rub into the meat.  Woo-hoo!  Very happy when an idea comes together - and so I don't forget what I did in my haze of talent, awesomeness, brilliance, and just sheer excitement, here is my recipe:

2.5 lb. pork tenderloin, trimmed ($3.15)
2 T. spicy brown mustard ($.10)
2 T. olive oil ($.10)
1-2 T. white wine ($.10) - I used pinot grigio
2 tsp. each: paprika, onion powder, and salt ($.10)
1 tsp. each: roasted garlic powder, black pepper, and thyme ($.10)
1/2 tsp. each: oregano and dry ground mustard ($.05)
pinch of cumin
splash of worchestershire sauce

Mix all but pork tenderloin until fully incorporated.  Spread mixture onto thawed and dry meat.
Roast in oven at 350 for 2-3 hours, uncovered.  Meat is done when exterior is firm and meat registers 180F.  Cool 15 minutes, then slice thin for sandwiches, thick for serving alongside potatoes and root veggies.

Cost: $3.70

No comments:

Post a Comment