Monday, July 29, 2013

Ham and Cheddar Frittata

I'm trying to pull together a lighter menu with 10 ingredients or less per recipe.

For me, this is a real challenge, since I love to cook with lots of bold flavors, which really can make an ingredient list add up.  Most of the recipes I'm now working on are done in 30-45 minutes or less and cost $5 or less to make.  These recipes are all tested before I post them and I hope to average 1 new lighter menu meal a week until I have at least 25-30 new recipes posted.

Here is a twist on one of my favorites - the classic frittata.  This classic Italian dish isn't just a go-to breakfast or brunch menu staple, it's great for dinner, and can make an amazing breakfast sandwich.  Paired with sourdough or whole wheat toast or English muffins and a side of fruit or a mixed green salad, this is a fun recipe to whip up any day of the week and is fantastic at room temperature and reheats well.

4 whole eggs, 2 egg whites ($.75)
2 T. water (free)
salt and pepper ($.05)
1/4 C. cubed ham ($.25)
1/4 C. shredded cheddar ($.25)
1/2 tsp. vegetable oil ($.05)

Whisk together eggs, egg whites, water, salt, and pepper.
In a 9" pie plate, add oil and coat well.  Sprinkle ham and cheddar on the bottom of the pan and pour egg mixture over the top.

Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes, or until top is lightly golden.
Cool 5 minutes, then cut into 8 wedges and serve with chilled fruit or mixed green salad.
Can be served warm or at room temperature.

Yields: 3-4 servings
Cost: $1.35
Cost per serving: $.45

No comments:

Post a Comment