Monday, June 3, 2013

Mesquite Turkey Tacos

Last week I posted a recipe for sweet mesquite turkey breast....well, it was such a hit, I decided to try a few different ways to serve it.  The first serving made amazing sandwiches - topped with Havarti cheese and slaw mix with plenty of mayo.  After the second round of sandwiches, I was looking for something with a little kick.

I decided to try a taco.  Tacos are as common as sandwiches in my house and this made the last of the leftover turkey disappear in a matter of minutes.  Another huge hit!  I love it when something is easy to make, affordable, and is full of flavor.  Though, it may be said that I am eager to try anything as a taco.  I don't think the universe can have too many tacos....do you?

1 1/2 C. Sweet Mesquite Turkey ($1.25)
8 corn tortillas ($.35)
1/3 C. shredded sharp cheddar cheese ($.30)
1/2 C. sour cream ($.30)
2 T. cilantro, chopped ($.10)
1 medium onion, sliced into thin sliced ($.10)
1 T. vegetable oil ($.05)
1 C. shredded lettuce ($.15)

Warm vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat.  When oil is hot, add onions and cook 5 minutes.  Add in lightly shredded turkey and warm for another 5-7 minutes or until turkey is heated through.

Serve in warm tortillas with cheddar cheese, cilantro, lettuce, and top with sour cream if desired.

Yields: 8 tacos
Cost: $2.60
Cost per taco: $.33

No comments:

Post a Comment