Friday, May 24, 2013

Sweet Mesquite Turkey Breast

I found a deal this past week on Jennie-O frozen turkey breast for $.99 a pound and since I have long want to experiment on a smaller portion of turkey, I was excited to pick up a deal on this.  I have want to try my hand at creating turkey with so me of the deli flavors I love especially since I have been on a sandwich kick ever sense I found out Jimmy John's sells their sandwich bread for $.50 a loaf.
I know...I know...It's a fantastic price for tasty bread!  It's made sandwich time so much happier....and cheaper in my home.

From my favorite deli, there is a mesquite turkey that I adore and thought it would be great to make a slightly sweeter version of this classic that has graced many a sandwich of mine.  Since I've moved to an area that doesn't have much of a selection for deli offerings, it's high time I learn to make my deli style favorites.  I guess moving a little ways away from my beloved city will challenge (my challenge, I mean force) me to learn how to make even more dishes than I ever imagined.  Though, every time we head back towards the Windy City, we stock up on tons of our favorites, but that's another topic for another time.

Having lived near a specialty spice shop, I picked up some mesquite flavoring a month ago and I have been drying to give it a try.  Pairing that with some pantry staples, I think I've come up with a winner, and with some great, inexpensive sandwich bread - I'll be lunching my way to heaven!

1 tsp. mesquite flavoring ($.15)
1/2 tsp. cumin ($.05)
1 1/2 T. brown sugar ($.05)
1/2 tsp. chile powder (I used ancho chile, but regular will work fine too) ($.05)
1 tsp. black pepper ($.05)
2 tsp. salt ($.05)
3/4 tsp. each onion and garlic powder ($.10)

2 T. olive oil ($.10)
1 T. honey ($.10)
1 T. maple syrup ($.05)
6.1 lb. frozen turkey breast, thawed completely ($5.95)

Directions:
Heat oven to 325F.
Combine all dry spices and brown sugar.
Pat dry turkey breast with paper towel and season under the skin and the skin evenly with the spice mixture.
Place seasoned turkey breast into baking dish or cast iron casserole.

Drizzle with honey and maple syrup, then drizzle with olive oil.
Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper, if desired.

*Bake at 325F for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until internal temperature reaches 170F.  Let rest 15 minutes before carving.

*(Bake for 20-30 minutes per pound)*

I plan to serve this with some classic potato salad and a hearty salad of mixed greens topped with some clementine wedges.

Cost: $6.70
Servings: 16
Cost per serving: $.44

No comments:

Post a Comment