Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pulled Pork Potato Skins

I noticed this on a local menu and thought that this was an idea that had so much potential, and I could happily do this myself.  With a few ingredients that I happen to have on hand and some green onions, I was set to give this quick and inexpensive appetizer a try.  And hubby and I were so glad I did!

Lately I've been working on getting some new recipes together for appetizers and desserts - I'm definitely in the mood for something new and looking for some new inspiration.  This recipe was a keeper on a few different levels - first, it's fairly affordable and helps me use up little bits and pieces of leftovers, which is another huge plus.  I love appetizers for how you can incorporate what you have on hand and this little gem is already a fan favorite at my house.

Another great plus for a recipe, at least for me, is if variations lend themselves well to the mix.  I can see a few varations like swapping in chicken for the pork or using minced red or orange bell peppers when I have them on hand.

Ingredients:
4 medium sized russet potatoes, baked and lightly hollowed out ($.40)
1 C. shredded sharp cheddar cheese($.60)
3 T. parmesan cheese ($.10)
2 T. garlic butter ($.15)
1 C. shredded pork ($.75)
1/4 C. thin sliced green onions ($.35)
2 T. minced cilatro ($.10)
1 1/2 C. sour cream ($.75)

Directions:

Brush the inside of the hollowed out potato skins with garlic butter.
Top the potato skins with pork, cheddar cheese, parmesan, and green onions.
Bake at 425F until cheese is melted - about 7-10 minutes.

Top with cilantro and serve with sour cream.

Yields: 8 servings
Cost: $3.20
Cost per serving: $.40

No comments:

Post a Comment