Thursday, December 20, 2012

Hazelnut Crescents

Part of the holidays for me is baking cookies with my MIL and this year, one of the cookies she chose was the classic almond crescent.  While I love the classics, I have tons of chopped hazelnuts to use and thought they would compliment this cookie well and....a new favorite has emerged!
 
The mild flavor of the hazelnut pared with the classic flavor of vanilla really makes for a great cookie.  Rather than dipping mine in melted chocolate, I chose a simple glaze, to keep the flavors mild and perfect for pairing with tea, hot cider, coffee, or hot cocoa.  I love creating new recipes and the holidays are always an inspiration - with so many great flavors and textures, I'm always able to offer a little something new each holiday season on my cookie trays.  Though this isn't the only new cookie on the tray this year, it is by far my favorite - no offense, butterscotch blondies.  You might be good, but hazelnut crescents....now that's my style.
 
 
Ingredients:
2 C. (4 sticks) butter, softened ($2.00)
1 1/4 C. powdered sugar ($.25)
1 tsp. vanilla extract ($.10)
1/4 tsp. salt ($.05)
4 C. flour ($.25)
1 C. ground hazelnuts ($.30)
 
Drizzle
1/4 C. powdered sugar ($.10)
1-2 tsp. milk ($.05)
 
Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350°F.

Mix well butter and powdered sugar until creamy.  Mix in salt and vanilla.  Slowly incorporate the flour, then the ground hazelnuts.

Shape dough into 2-inch crescents, using 1 Tbsp. dough for each. Place, 2 inches apart, on parchment- or foil-covered baking sheets. 
   
Bake 12 to 15 min. or until lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 2 min. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
Mix together the powdered sugar and milk, brush glaze lightly over cooled cookies.  For an alternative to the glaze, you can sift powdered sugar over the cookies before they are completely cooled.
 
Yield: 72 cookies
Cost: $3.10
Cost per cookie: $.05

No comments:

Post a Comment