Sunday, September 25, 2011

Ground Turkey Italian Sausage

I am a huge fan of ground turkey, not just for the price, but also for the light and versatile flavor. This recipe I used in making a lasagne last week and was the perfect accompaniment to the richness of the tomato sauce and the creaminess of the cheese. The hint of sweet from the sausage gave this dish a whole new dimension. The best part - I used ingredients I already had one hand and was able to put the entire lasagne together in just 1 hour.

1 pound ground turkey ($1.00)
1 small onion ($.05)
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped very fine ($.10)
1 tsp. minced garlic ($.05)
1/2 tsp. each: fennel seed, chili powder, and onion salt ($.05)
1 T. basil ($.05)
2 tsp. oregano ($.05)
pinch of cumin ($.05)
2-3 T. Sundried Tomato Vinagrette ($.05)

Add ground turkey to a pan and combine will all ingredients except vinagrette and brown together over a medium heat. Once meat is no longer pink, add dressing and cook 2-3 additional minutes.

Yields = 1 batch
Cost: $1.45

Great to use in:
Pasta sauce
Stuffed mushrooms
Frittatas
Pizza
Croquettes

2 comments:

  1. I hate how expensive ground turkey Italian sausage has been lately, so I have your recipe a try and loved it! I did add a little more garlic, since I'm a garlic fan, but this is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - this is a go-to for us, love getting inexpensive ground turkey and making it taste great.

    ReplyDelete