Sunday, January 2, 2011

Italian Sausage Seasoning

I love Italian sausage, but I rarely see sales for it - so I've done the next best thing - I've created a way to make my own sausage using pre-ground meat (or sometimes, grinding my own meat) and adding a perfectly balanced blend of spices.

3 T. dry minced garlic ($.20)
1 T. dry minced onion ($.10)
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper (increase to 1 tsp. for hot Italian sausage) ($.05)
2 tsp. fennel seed ($.10)
4 T. basil ($.25)
1 T. oregano ($.10)
1/4 tsp. cumin ($.05)
1 tsp. chile powder ($.05)
1 tsp. salt ($.05)

Mix well all seasonings. Store in an airtight jar for up to 6 months.

Yields = 1 batch of seasoning
Cost: $.95
Cost per tablespoon: $.09

Directions: Add 1 T. seasoning to every half pound of ground poultry or pork or add 1 T. per pound of ground beef.

To make a great Italian marinade, simply add 2 T. of seasoning to 3 T. olive oil, 1 T. lemon juice, and 1/8 C. water and blend well.

2 comments:

  1. Such a good idea - wonder if this will work with ground turkey or chicken? I love Italian-flavored sausage, but don't eat pork. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great, I love the idea of making my own Italian sausage - it's so hard to find a good brand that has lots of flavor, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete