Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Portabella Alfredo over Fettucine with Grilled Chicken

I forgot to thaw something for yesterday's dinner, so I decided to build a meal around some of my pantry basics. I always keep a variety of pasta sauces and pastas on hand for moments like this. While I like my made-from-scratch sauces better, the variations you can make using a jarred sauce as a base for pasta are endless. Last night, I had a handful of cremini mushrooms (baby bellas) still in the fridge that I needed to use. This recipe idea just popped into my head....and, to be honest, it might have been inspired by the Olive Garden commercials.

1 jar Bertolli 4 Cheese Alfredo ($.75 after coupons)
1 tsp. olive oil ($.10)
6 cremini mushrooms, chopped small ($.13)
1 lb. fettucine pasta ($.50)
1/2 Italian Herb grilled chicken breast, cut into thin strips ($.45)
salt and pepper ($.05)
2-3 T. water (free)

Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente. Drain and rinse.

In a nonstick skillet, add oil and heat over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add chopped mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium heat until mushrooms are just fork tender. Pour sauce into pan, add water to pasta sauce jar, shake well and add that to the pan, cook over medium-low for 6-10 minutes.

Toss 2/3 of pasta with sauce to coat well. Top with chicken.

Yields = 3 servings
Cost: $1.98
Cost per serving: $.67

No comments:

Post a Comment