Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Onion and Chicken Rice

I love fried rice, seasoned rice, well - I'm definitely a rice eatin' kind of girl. Since I often have chicken broth/stock on hand and onions are a pantry staple, this hearty side dish came about mostly due to the ingredients on hand. Easy to tweak and personalize, rice dishes are some of my most affordable and favorite go-to sides when I'm making a 30 minute meal, or when I simply do not have a lot of fresh ingredients on hand.

2 C. white or brown rice ($.29)
4 C. chicken broth or stock ($.25)
2 cubes beef bouillion ($.10)
1 medium onion, finely minced ($.10)
pinch of cumin ($.05)
1 T. oil ($.05)
1 clvoe garlic, minced ($.05)

In a large, nonstick skillet, add oil and heat over medium-high. When oil is hot, add finely minced onion and cook over medium high to carmelize. Once onion is brown, add garlic and rice, toast rice (cook until rice is no longer translucent).

Add stock and bouillion. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook 15-18 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed.

Yields = 6-8 servings
Cost: $.89
Cost per serving: $.15

No comments:

Post a Comment