Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Maple Pecan Apple Crisp

I was craving a sweet and fruity dessert tonight, so I tossed together some premade, homemade apple pie filling with a few pantry staples. Looks like I've got another favorite that doesn't require any "fancy" ingredients. I can't wait to try this with an apple and pear combination and some walnuts. With dozens of possible variations, I'm thinking I can even soak some raisins in a dark rum and add that as another twist.

1 quart-sized bag apple pie filling ($.50)
1 C. brown sugar ($.20)
2/3 C. rolled oats ($.10)
1/2 C. flour ($.10)
3 T. maple sugar ($.15)
1 T. molasses ($.10)
2 T. margarine ($.10)
2 T. pecans ($.20)


Grease a loaf pan.

Heat oven to 375.

Combine apples with maple syrup and molasses. Add to loaf pan.Combine all remaining ingredients except margarine and pecans.

Cut the cold margarine into the dry ingredients until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Sprinkle this over the apples, top with pecans.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Yields = 3-4 servings
Cost: $1.45
Cost per serving: $.49

No comments:

Post a Comment