Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hot Beef Sammies

I love fun sammies and diner food. There's nothing better for a busy week night dinner than a fancier-than-grilled-cheese sandwich and a good salad for dinner. I keep the fixin's for both on hand, when time gets a little too short to do the recipe I originally had scheduled in my meal plan, or one of the major components for the meal is missing.

I have a bread outlet store less than 3 miles from my house, which typically sells breads for under $1 a loaf, making sammies a clear favorite for my hubby and I. With cheap and easy access to bread, a crockpot, and a cabinet full of spices and tons of free marinades (from my couponing adventures), I'm usually in good shape to whip up a hearty sandwich and salad dinner. This helps the budget, too. We get takeout maybe once a month. I honestly can't remember the last time I had takeout.

3 lb. boneless beef rolled roast ($4.51)
2 envelopes onion and mushroom soup mix ($.10 after coupons)
1 envelope savory garlic and herb seasoning mix (free after coupons)
4 C. water (free)
1 cube chicken bouillion ($.06)
salt and pepper ($.05)
3 T. corn starch ($.05)
1/4 C. water (free)
4 slices pre-sliced Italiaf loaf bread ($.10)

Rub roast with contents of seasoning packets. Place in crockpot, season with salt and pepper (if desired). Add water cube of chicken bouillion, and cook over high heat for 4 hours, reduce heat to low and cook an additional 2-3 hours. When roast is just fork tender, remove from crockpot.

In a medium, nonstick skillet, add broth from the crockpot, salt and pepper. Heat to a simmer, uncovered. Mix well corn starch and 1/4 C. water. Whisk this slowly into the broth, stirring constantly until mixture reaches desired consistency.

Remove any netting from beef (if necessary), discard. Slice beef thin. Toast the bread.

Add 4-6 slices of beef on top each slice of bread, top with gravy.

Yields 1 open-faced sammie per person (4 servings)
Cost: $4.87
Cost per serving: $1.22

Leftover Makeover:
Beef in a Creamy Mushroom Gravy

No comments:

Post a Comment