Friday, July 23, 2010

Peach Syrup

This was a recipe by accident. I was hoping to make something resembling preserves or even peach butter. Let me explain...

I was blanching peaches to freeze and a few of them cooked a bit too much for slicing. So, after I peeled the overcooked peaches, I tossed them into a pot I had next to me, and when I was done, I slowly simmered the peaches with a few choice ingredients, mashing the peaches as they cooked.

Since the mixture isn't all together thick - like spreadable thick, I would call it a syrup. Perfect to serve over pancakes, french toast, and waffles - which is exactly what I plan to do with it!

8-10 ripe peaches, peeled (free after coupons)
1 1/2 C. brown sugar ($.20)
2-3 T. butter ($.25)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon ($.15)
1/8 tsp. nutmeg ($.10)

Add all ingredients to a pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, breaking up the chunks of peaches until they're very soft. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until most of the peaches have dissolved.

Cool and store in airtight jars in the fridge.

Yields = 3 pints
Cost: $.70
Cost per pint: $24

No comments:

Post a Comment