Thursday, July 8, 2010

Peach & Almond Muffins

With the crazy good prices of peaches lately ($.39 lb.), I've been loving the crazy-good recipes I've been coming up with to use them. This is the first summer where I've seen such a good price on peaches, and will confess that before this season, I'd never bought (or had) a fresh peach in my life. Now, there's no turning back!

I've made peach salsa (which I absolutely adore), peach & pecan bars (heavenly), grilled peaches (beyond words...they are that good), and now....peach almond muffins. Why muffins? Because I was baking a batch of them anyway. While I was in the kitchen baking blueberry vanilla muffins and white chocolate raspberry muffins, I sectioned out some muffin dough and tossed in peaches, a splash of rum extract, and a palmful or two of sliced almonds. The result: a light, sweet, delicious muffin variation that I've never seen - anywhere. The only thing better than a new recipe turning out well - coming up with a flavor combination that you've never seen done before.

At a fraction of the cost of bakery muffins (roughly a dozen muffins for the price of one bakery muffin!), these will be a hit with your wallet and your family!

1 egg, beaten ($.07)
1/2 tsp. rum extract ($.10)
1/4 tsp. vanilla ($.05)
1/2 C. milk (fat-free) ($.05)
1/4 C. vegetable oil ($.10)
1 1/2 C. flour ($.15)
1/2 C. sugar ($.15)
2 tsp. baking soda ($.10)
1/4 C. sliced almonds ($.25)
1-2 peaches, peeled and chopped small ($.20)

In a large mixing bowl, beat egg. Stir in rum, vanilla, milk, and oil. Add flour, sugar, baking soda and stir 15 times. Add in almonds and peaches, fold in until just combined.

Heat oven to 400.

Grease muffin tin and fill cups (3/4 for small muffins, to the top for larger muffins)

Bake for 17-20 minutes, muffins are done when tops are lightly golden on top.

Cool and serve

Yields 9-12 muffins
Cost: $1.22
Cost per muffin: $.14

No comments:

Post a Comment