Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Summer Fruit Salsa: Peach Salsa

Looking for a lovely, sweet twist on salsa? I've sampled several different fruit-based salsas at my local Caputo's and decided to try my hand a making one of my own. Based on the cost per pound, my version is much more affordable and it comes together in less than 10 minutes! Who doesn't like that?

I'll be trying more variations on the summer ftuit salsa as different fruits come in season. Be eating in-season fruit, you're more likely to keep local farmers employed and you save money. For me, it's a win-win all around.

2-3 large white peaches (approximately 1 lb.) ($.99)
2 T. lemon juice concentrate ($.05)
1/2 medium white onion ($.05)
1 T. chopped cilantro ($.08)
1/2 yellow bell pepper ($.20)
salt, to taste ($.05)

Cut peaches in half, remove the pits, then finely dice. Toss with lemon juice (to prevent fruit from browning). Mince onion and bell pepper, toss with peaches. Add cilantro, stir. Salt to taste.

Yields = 2 to 2 1/2 C.
Cost: $1.42 versus $3.99 lb. in the deli section!!
Serve with: Grilled chicken, fish, seafood, pork, tortillas chips, crackers, veggies.
Also serve well on: tacos, tostadas, or along side a hearty Mexican meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment