Saturday, April 17, 2010

Taco Seasoning Blend

While I love the convenience of taco seasoning, the in-store prices are rather high for my taste and since I haven't gotten really good coupons to buy this lately, I've looked at a few recipes to make my own. All the spices I use are readily available at most supermarkets. I've added cornstarch to act as a thickener to make the meat bind together well. Use this in gorund beef, gorund turkey, or chicken to make awesome tacos!

3 T. chili powder ($.15)
2 T. paprika ($.15)
2 T. onion powder ($.10)
1 T. plus 1 tsp. cumin ($.10)
1 T. plus 1 tsp. garlic powder ($.10)
1 tsp. Mexican oregano (or regular ground oregano) ($.05)
1/8 tsp. cayenne (more if you prefer more heat) ($.05)
1/4 C. cornstarch ($.12)
pinch of salt
*1 tsp. sugar* optional ($.03)

Place in an airtight container and shake to combine well. Store sealed in a cool, dry place. This will keep up to 6 months.

Use 2-3 T. per pound of meat.
This yields = 8-10 servings
Cost: $.85
Cost per serving: $.08 - $.10

No comments:

Post a Comment