Friday, April 16, 2010

Deli Meat at Home

Have you gotten a good look at what decent deli meat goes for these days? I don't mind paying for food with flavor, but I wouldn't spend as much on anything per pound as deli meat is prices at. Even chocolate is cheaper!

So, my choices are pretty simple:
1. I can suck it up and pay that much or
2. I can figure out a way to make my own.

Naturally, I like option #2 better. And yes, I do have a meat slicer. The best gift I was ever given! And completely worth the $40 that was spent on it. I'll save more than that with 3-4 batches of meat sliced, since anything comparable per pound cost more than $6.99. I still think the deli prices are highway robbery. But, I do enjoy their free samples... I like to call it delicious inspiration.

Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Roasted Garlic Peppercorn Pork Loin, thin sliced (combine 3 T. crushed black peppercorns with 3 envelopes of Savory Garlic & Herb Lipton Seasoning blend)

2. Roasted Onion Beef Sirloin, thin sliced (I'll use 3-4 envelopes of Lipton Onion Soup Mix for my flavorings)

3. Sweet & Mesquite Chicken Breast

For less than $2 a pound, I was able to grab a few pounds of each of those meats to start with. This weekend, since I've kept Saturday afternoon clear and it's supposed to be on the cooler side, I'll start by giving #2 and #3 a try. DaMama's planning to make #1, so we'll have quite a few variations covered.

DaMama also has a vacuum sealer, so once the meat has cooled (typically overnight), I'll bring to her place to seal and divide up. I'm sure she can use some deli meat. After all, a girl cannot live on free bologna alone....

No comments:

Post a Comment