Thursday, April 16, 2009

Three Cheese Sweet Pepper Marinara

I love some good pasta, and not many places serve it with bold, rich flavors the way I like. I've come up with 3 or 4 variations on a standard marinara which are heaven in my mouth! I like the balance of creamy and hearty, and this sauce is simply no exception to that rule. I hope you like this one as much as I do!

2 cans tomato paste (6-8 oz.) ($.04 - after coupons)
1 can crushed tomatoes (29 oz.) ($.99)
1 can Italian-style diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.) ($.10 after coupons)
1 can tomato sauce (6 oz.) (free after coupons)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup (10-11 oz.) ($.52 - after coupons)
1 C. alfredo sauce (any variety) or 1 1/2 C. sour cream ($.40)
1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced ($.35)
5 cloves of garlic, minced or crushed ($.30)
1/2 C. parmesan ($.30)
1/2 C. mozzarella ($.40)
1/4 C. provolone ($.20 - got it on sale for $2.99 lb.!! got enough to freeze some for my next batch of sauce)
2 T. dry minced onion (or 1/4 small white onion, very finely chopped) ($.10)
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, white button or cremini, thin sliced ($.99)
2 T. basil ($.10)
2 tsp. oregano ($.15)
1/2 tsp. cumin (1 tsp. if you prefer a smokier flavor) ($.05)

Add all ingredients to a crockpot (slowcooker). Cook on high for 2 hours, switch to low, cook an additional 2 hours. Let cool 10 minutes. Serve over thin spaghetti. Top with Italian flat-leaf parsley and additional parmesan.
Yield = 12 servings
Cost = $4.99
Cost per serving: $.42

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog! I'm always on the look out for a yummy recipe so I will be back often.
    I'm on the IL/WI boarder so its nice to know a close blogger. Finally some nice weather after that horrible winter. It was wonderful just to have sunlight. Be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, didn't realize you were so close! Hi, neighbor - it's amazing to find bloggers near your area, it does make a difference, especially for finding ingredients and saving money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do monthly shopping and we are all so sick of the same meals. I'm trying to come up with a new list of meals. I'm going to poke around your site for a few. And thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you find something you like!

    ReplyDelete